Monday, October 13, 2008

A message from Kristie in Haiti

Kristie Mompremier, our friend in Haiti, has been reading the blog and sent this to share with us today:

"We had a testimony in church yesterday from a man that is from Gonaives, the area in Haiti that suffered the most devastation. He told us that it had started to rain during the day but the real flooding didn't begin until everyone was asleep. Amazing. He woke up in his house to water a foot deep. He had been in the hurricane 5 years ago and knew to get out right away. He ran out looking for a house that had 3 stories to it and a flat cement roof instead of a tin roof. By the time he got to one he was walking in water up to his chest. He stayed on top of that roof for over 3 days with hardly any food. He was able to take only 1 bag of personal items with him. He saw so many people perish in front of his eyes. Children ripped from their parents arms. He said those 3 days on top of the roof was a time of ultimate suffering and times when people's brains just couldn't understand what was happening right in front of their eyes. He also said that in the end, incomprehensively, it was also a time of awesome fear of the Lord and His supremacy.

JeanJean asked if the church could help him out financially. He refused saying, he had his aunt that he was staying with, but he asked for the church to PRAY and help those still in Gonaives. It really touched the whole church.

JeanJean and I have had to 'suffer' the inconvenience of gas being $8/gallon and having limited food available since the roads have been washed out from the hurricane. We have had rice and beans as a treat and have had corn gruel and boiled maniok as a staple these past few weeks since the hurricane. But, this man's story puts our inconveniences in a proper perspective. God is in control of all things. He is awesome and will provide for all our needs.

Please continue to pray for the people of Gonaives (Go-nah--eevs) and other places that are still recovering from the hurricane.

Thank you for those taking the challenge of fasting with rice and beans. God will bless you for any sacrifices."

Kristie Mompremier, United Christians International missionary in Haiti

9 comments:

Doug said...

Thank you, Krisitie, for that amazing story. To praise God in the midst of such devastation and tragedy is incredibly humbling. God bless this man and the people he loves. God bless the people of Gonaives. God bless the people of Haiti. Bring them food to nourish their bodies and their souls.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Our family just ate beans and rice for dinner. We have 2 sons at home - ages 9 and 13. I had read Kristie's story right before dinner and read it to my family as we ate. It was a very good perspective - beans and rice as a treat. Thanks for sharing. ps everyone ate well - am wondering when they will want to raid the cereal??

Maribeth said...

Kristi,

Thank you for taking the time to share the testimony of the man at your church...to ask for prayers rather than financial help shows an incredible faith and trust in God. I am envisioning how hard you are working, and the simple, meager food that you are preparing your family... I pray that God shows His supremacy to the people of Haiti, but His mercy and provision, too. Our prayers are with you...

Maribeth

Unknown said...

I went to ALDI's today to buy beans and rice for our meals this week (I have chosen two days to do this with our family...for various reasons). It was so hard to not give in and buy a few other things too. I wanted to stick to the beans and rice though and see what if felt like to only bring that home. I have not bought groceries for a couple weeks and we are out of staples...but still have enough to throw something together when needed. I was really surprised by the wave of emotion that caught me on the way out the door with my baby in one arm and my little grocery bag in the other. For those that know me, you know I LOVE to serve my family through good home cooked meals each day. I was sad that I wasn't going to cook for them the way I wanted too. I was sad that there was another mom today in Haiti somewhere thrilled that she could serve beans AND rice today. JeanJean and Kristi's girls probably loved their treat of beans & rice... I'm hoping my children will not pout too much when I put it on our table. My heart is moving this week in ways I wasn't prepared for. Thanks for sharing Kristi... Praying for all the people dealing with the aftermath of the hurricanes and flooding. Visualizing children being swept from their parents arms makes a pit form in my stomach. The man in this post is so faithful.

Maribeth said...

The New York Times has articles and videos about the situation in Haiti in today's edition (online)...it adds another layer of understanding. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/haiti/index.html?inline=nyt-geo

Laura Hoy said...

I was reading in the Psalms this morning and am remembering our Haitian neighbors as I read:

"You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more." Psalm 10:17-18

Andy said...

I explained a little bit to Emma about why we were eating rice and beans Sunday night. I told her that people in Haiti were hungry and she said "that's ok Daddy, God will take care of them." Laura, that is a beautiful passage. What do you think God has promised to those in Haiti? How will He bring it to pass?

Laura Hoy said...

Andy, I can't read a passage like this in Scripture and not hear God speaking to me, too.... that I'm to play a part in His reconciling, redeeming work around the world. Aren't we called as followers of Christ to share and live out the Good News and encouragement God has for His people everywhere? How can we read "God will encourage them and listen to their cry" and not also believe that He's calling His followers everywhere to hear those same cries and be the encouragement that is needed?