Friday, October 3, 2008

God at work around the world

I'm looking at a beautiful picture that hangs in my office cubicle of Molly Hagen laughing with a young Cambodian friend. I love Molly. For those of you who don't know her, she's in her early twenties, grew up at Orchard Hill Church, and has been serving as a missionary with Youth With a Mission (http://www.ywam.org/) in Cambodia for the past two years. Molly is on fire for Jesus, and I love to spend time with her. Her stories of God at work in Cambodia are inspiring and help me see how Jesus is setting things right all over the globe. Yesterday's prayer date asked us to pray for Molly. She'll be coming home for a few months this fall, and is inbetween God's assigments for her. I am confident Molly will share on a Sunday morning during the Community Group time in the Commons. I hope you'll watch for that and get the chance to hear how God is moving in Cambodia. Please pray for Molly. For a time of refreshing and rest with her family when she returns. Pray that God will use her to teach our body more about His heart and the mission of Jesus. And I think I'm safe to say that Molly would have us pray diligently for God's Kingdom to come throughout Cambodia. You can email Molly at mollyfromiowa@yahoo.com



Today's prayer asks us to pray that the Haitian government will act to meet the needs of the poor in Haiti. Haiti is considered the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Already reeling with a food crisis, the country has been severely impacted with the rains of four hurricanes in the past few months. Please pray for the Haitian people. For a just government, food for the people, for long term solutions, for people to know the hope found in Christ. We have some wonderful partners near the village of Pignon, Haiti, who are making Christ known in their area. Over the next three Sundays at church, you will also be given the opportunity to sponsor a child in Haiti as well as Mozambique. One by one by one...

Today's post reminds me of one of my favorite Scriptures. From the Message translation, Isaiah 42:1-4:

Take a good look at my servant. I'm backing him to the hilt. He's the one I chose, and I couldn't be more pleased with him. I've bathed him with my Spirit, my life. He'll set everything right among the nations. He won't call attention to what he does with loud speeches or gaudy parades. He won't brush aside the bruised and the hurt and he won't disregard the small and insignificant, but he'll steadily and firmly set things right. He won't tire out and quit. He won't be stopped until he's finished his work- to set things right on earth. Far-flung ocean islands wait expectantly for his teaching.

And He keeps on keeping on through you and me! So, as we go about our weekend, I pray that we might join Christ in his mission to set things right by loving and serving those close at home and those far away.

Blessings,
Laura Hoy

No comments: