Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Freedom and chains

I went this afternoon to the Black Hawk County Jail to visit a friend who just got sentenced today to prison for a spell. Alcohol has been her master and demon, to the extent that she's lost her children and has now been sentenced to prison time at Mitchellville. In the 30 minutes that we had together, she spoke of how though she may be physically locked up in jail, she is experiencing incredible freedom from some of the chains that have held her. She's away from the temptations that trip her up, she has the time to focus on exercise for her body, reading for her mind, and Bible study for her soul. She meets with other believers during the day, and she told me that they all have this in common: They are currently desperately dependent on God, as many have hit bottom, lost almost everything, and recognize their own brokenness and powerlessness to change. The Bible is their daily lifeline, and Jesus alone is their freedom, portion, and hope.


I don't know if I'll express this very well, but this visit got me thinking about how I can so easily confuse chains and freedom. So often, if I'm not allowed to indulge in something my flesh wants, I consider myself chained or lacking freedom. Yet, it's so often in discipline, dying, and surrender that I discover real freedom and an awareness that what I had thought to be freedom was actually chaining my heart.


Rice and beans, fasting, withholding from spending, all good to help me take a look at my heart and consider what chains I may have that keep me from freely and fully devoting my all to Jesus and His redeeming mission.



"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." Galatians 5:1
"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:32

3 comments:

Maribeth said...

So well said, Laura. I think of that, too. Sometimes even the freedom to choose (The Paradox of Choice) which we here in the U.S. hold so very tightly, can become a chain... I'll pray for your friend, and for her peace of mind in Christ to draw others to Him, too.

Anonymous said...

Laura,
Our family is eating beans and rice. It was said in our house last night, "I get it", so, we all went to bed a bit hungry. I have been praying for the third world and all who do not get to eat each day. I pray that God will hold each one and give them the nourishment they need.

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. I pray for the woman and pray Christ will help her deal with the addiction.

We had beans and rice tonight. One son had 3 helpings-(and some other things too). How hard it would be to be a mother who had just a little to feed her children.