Friday, October 24, 2008

Eyes Open

Kay Warren writes a prayer at the end of each of her chapters in the book Dangerous Surrender. One of her chapters speaks on the topic of evil and realities of injustice in our world. In order to begin to act and to be Kingdom bringers, we must be aware of the evil and the unjust scales all around us. Here's one of Kay's prayers that we can begin to pray as well:

Father, I confess to you that I have become very adept at "changing the channel." Instead of pushing back the darkness, I push it away from me so that I don't have to acknowledge or feel the pain of living in a broken world. I've been living in a bubble of unreality. Will you move me to become angry about evil? I ask you to open my eyes to see evil, my ears to hear the cries of those being crushed by evil, and then my mouth to start speaking out on behalf of those who have no voice. I'm choosing today to begin to overcome evil with good. Please show me where to start. Amen.

I'd also add a prayer for God to not only open my eyes, ears. and mouth, but to move my heart in love and move my feet toward people in need.

2 comments:

Kris Hoskinson said...

i echo this prayer in my life too. i become WAY TOO GOOD at pushing away the darkness, just closing my eyes so i don't have to see. i think sometimes i'm afraid of the responsibility that comes with knowing or seeing!

Anonymous said...

I can hardly pray this prayer because my heart is already so heavy with the many things I already know about. Like Kay Warren, I have just cried for the evil and hurt in the world. I just pray God will use me for good and in some way to bring Jesus in the situations he puts me in.