Saturday, October 11, 2008

Choices

I went to the grocery store the other night to purchase next week's supply of rice and beans. Rice and beans, simple right? I wish I would have counted the number of choices I had for rice alone. Brown rice, white rice, long grain, short grain, organic, instant, sticky. Rice-a-roni came in at least ten different flavors...Spanish rice to chicken fajita flavored to fried rice. And on and on. Then came the beans: pinto, kidney, lima, black beans, chili beans, and more.

Barry Schwartz wrote a book called The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less. He writes of being in a grocery store where he counted 230 soup choices, 275 cereal choices, 64 options for barbecue sauce, 285 cookie choices, and 175 types of salad dressings. He also writes about how so many choices tend to cause anxiety, stress, buyers' regret, paralysis. His book offers some practical steps to help a person limit their choices, get disciplined to focus, and become more satisfied due to fewer choices.

I've been listening to stories of starvation in Haiti...how 1 cup of rice is selling for a week's salary. Millie, from World Vision, also told me that rice is really a luxury rather than a staple in the African country she recently visited. When I hear that, and then I look around at our abundance, my brain just doesn't even quite know what to do with such unequal distribution in our world.

My daughter, Sara, often sees such a simple solution to this unfair distribution in our world. "Just send crates of fruits and vegetables over, Mom. Maybe send some refrigerators too." I wish it was such an easy fix, Sara. For now, maybe I'll start with praying more for redistribution that leads to justice. And eating rice and beans for a week which will, I pray, impact my mind and heart. And rather than concentrating on the many choices we have in retail, maybe I'll consider more the lifestyle choices I make that have more of an impact on our world than I am often willing to admit.

5 comments:

heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heidi said...

Great points, Laura (and Sara!).

Camilia, the 20-year-old young Haitian woman we sponsored through H.E.L.P. had to withdraw from school last year because she was going to have a baby. She was pregnant in Haiti while I was pregnant with Ian in the U.S. I think of her and her baby a lot - especially these days. I pray that they have survived so far and that somehow they have food. It's difficult for me to realize I'll most likely never know. And it's even harder to accept the fact that they probably *don't* have food and that the chances of their survival are slim.

And here we suffer anxiety over which flavor of rice we will buy... and which beans do I prefer?

Kris Hoskinson said...

i am one of those people, paralyzed by food choices. i don't know what it is but i can waste so much time sitting in a restaurant or a grocery store, trying to decide what to choose to eat. i think simplicity is part of what i need to focus on this week when it comes to cooking and eating rice and beans.

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about our choices for our Rice and Bean meals... I don't think that is the purpose to serving/eating rice and beans this week? Worrying about finding a "good" rice and bean recipe or one that my family will "enjoy". Kind of defeats the purpose, huh? I have chosen to serve this for dinner two nights this week... I have not come to terms with how to handle this experience with a 4 year old who eats about every 3 hours...so my goal is to accomplish 2 days where we eat rice and beans for meals and have no snacks. My husband also insists that when he ate in Haiti that they also had bread of some sort with every meal. So, I'm going to attempt to make a Haitian bread for 1 of the days. I hope this experience is good for my family's hearts and minds as we try to understand this reality of so many people in other parts of the world. Jess

website for Haitian bread recipe...

www.recipegoldmine.com/worldcaribbean/haitan-bread.html

A.Mussig said...

Interesting how God is shaping my heart through my stomach. Quentin and I are living on a rice and beans diet this week and I am finding this more mentally challenging than I expected. I am not hungry, but I am terribly unsatisfied. I am seeing that my search for satisfaction will not be quenched through food. I know in my heart that reaching the 1 week goal is possible, but at every turn I find myself weak. If you too are living on rice and beans this week know that Quentin and I are praying for you and are struggling along with you.