Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Experiencing a little hunger

It's Tuesday, and we're five days out from asking people to eat rice and beans for a week/partial week or to fast from food for a given time next week. In my experience, when I've made a decision along these lines, it takes some prep time in my mind. I have to gear up for it, think about it, pray about it, examine my motives in it, and determine what I might do that will help me keep my focus on Jesus during that time. What are you thinking about as you look to next week's challenge?



What are some of your past experiences related to this? I know for me, God has deeply blessed my times of going hungry for a spell when my motivations are fixed on Him growing my heart. I think of others who are going without. I can more clearily recognize wants vs. needs. I have more gratitude for the blessings I live with and more of a burden for those in need. I get a better sense of what God pursues and what His heart beats for, and what I spend my time pursuing and what my heart beats for. Some of my greatest times of experiencing God's presence have come during these times. Going hungry reminds me to pray. Praying reminds me to act. And finally, being hungry reminds me to be a dependent person in the hands of our God. How about you?

3 comments:

Christina's little blog spot! said...

the page looks wonderful laura!!!!
x

Wendy said...

Rice and beans is their standard diet. I have never had to go hungry. I can eat 3 meals a day or more if I choose. I can't imagine not knowing if I will even have a meal to eat today. I pray that fasting will give me time to develop a closer relationship with God.

Quentin said...

Rice and beans for a week will be a great challenge. I need to make sure my heart is in the right place for it. Very possible for me to do it with the mindset to mark it off the spiritual checklist...I sense God has a whole lot more to teach me thru the time, and I need His help to keep my heart in the right place throughout the week.