Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why challenges for the heart?

I recently did a search on the word "heart" in the NIV Bible and found it 743 times in Scripture. The verses very clearly reminded me that my heart is "deceitful above all things.." (Jeremiah 17:9) and that it is God who "gives me a new heart." (Ezekiel 36:26). Left to myself, my heart is very quickly found to be selfish, greedy, and proud. In order to allow God to step in and grow my heart, I often have to do something that gives Him access to my heart. That is the purpose of these challenges for the heart over the next six weeks. To do some things that might give God access to our hearts so that He might grow our hearts in love for Him and for His people who are under-resourced in the world.


We invite you over the next six weeks to step into some of these challenges and then to share on this blog how God moves in your heart through them. We pray that this blog will be a place where God can help us all to learn more about His heart and to learn from each other about how God moves in our hearts and through our lives.


I'm looking forward to this journey with you-

Laura Hoy


No comments: